Monday, July 27, 2009

Blue Moon Pizza




2359 Windy Hill Rd., Marietta, GA http://www.bluemoonpizzaatl.com/

I've never been the pizza fanatic like most people I know. Many of my peers seem to eagerly consume any pizza, either hot or cold, for breakfast, lunch or dinner up to several times per week. I don't understand this. My general feeling about pizza is that I can take it or leave it. I rarely find myself craving it. But when I do, I take a trip down Cobb Parkway to the intersection of Windy Hill and grab a seat at Blue Moon Pizza.

I've been a fan of Blue Moon since my former boyfriend and I randomly drove past it and decided to give it a try about four years ago. After eating there once we were hooked on the fresh, often surprising ingredients, the perfectly light-browned crust and the tasty tomato sauce. Among other things, the restaraunt includes cayenne-candied bacon (!), sun-dried tomatoes and fresh avocado on their list of available toppings.

My current favorite specialty pizza is the Luna, Blue Moon's signature pizza. It's topped with chorizo sausage, caramelized onions, jalapenos, spicy ranch, black olives, cilantro and house cheese. It's a wonderful blend of popping flavors. Between the chorizo, jalpenos and ranch it has a definite bite and a burning aftertaste, so if you're not into spicy food, don't order this. Looking for something milder? Kyle's favorite is the Margherita, which is elegantly topped with rows of overlapping roma tomatoes, creamy fresh milk mozzarella cheese and big leaves of fresh, green basil. It's a beautiful and simple pizza - red, white and green, appropriately the colors of the Italian flag. The Santa Fe chicken and the Greek (pictured above) are other great bets.

The only pizza I can't wholeheartedly recommend is the Cheese Steak. I ordered it once, about a year ago, and felt disappointed with the seasoned steak within. It seemed a little too much like hamburger to me.

Friday nights are pretty crowded, due to the team trivia that's held there at 8pm, so I'd recommend eating at Blue Moon on a weeknight. Your best bet is Thursday, when they serve a great variety of martinis for $6. Over the past couple of years I have tried all of them, but my favorite is the cheesecake martini, which contains Cruzan vanilla rum, pineapple and cranberry juices and is finished with a graham cracker coated rim. Sweet and delicious.

The service is generally very good, and the bartenders have always been especially friendly. If you aren't in the mood to eat, they're just as happy to have you enjoying a few beers at the attractive, casual bar. Blue Moon also serves salads, calzones, strombolis and desserts, but I can't comment on any of these items because I'm so taken with the pizza that I've never ordered anything else. I am a dessert junkie, so the fact that all this time I've never even tried a dessert at Blue Moon speaks volumes.

Blue Moon originally opened in 2003, and added a second location in Vinings a year or two ago. I've haven't been to the Vinings location, but I've never had a bad experience at the Marietta restaurant, so I'm willing to try it if I find myself in that area of town. Note: both locations are closed on Sundays, and most holidays.

It's somewhat more expensive than your local, tired Pizza Hut (the large specialty pizzas range from $21 to $25), but I promise that the difference between such chains and this family owned restaurant is vast, and you'll feel your money was well spent.

Verdict: Best pizza I've had in Atlanta.

3 comments:

  1. I am really thinking that the Margherita is starting to lose ground very quickly to the pizza we had on friday. I like the Margherita a lot, but after having the Greek a few times I am starting to like it more. The ingredients have really grown on me and I think there is more flavor in it. The Margherita is really good in a traditional sense for pizza, but the Greek taste great and offers something different. Blue Moon is definitely a place everyone should try out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Sante Fe pizza is my favorite. I can't pass it up to try any of the others. It's that good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Blue Moon. I normally do a customized pizza with chorizo and caramelized onions. The sweetness of the nions really brings out the flavor of the chorizo. It's not the least expensive pizza you'll find, but it is outstanding and totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete