Thursday, August 6, 2009

Harry & Son's








820 N. Highland Ave., Atlanta (Virginia-Highlands) http://www.harryandsonsrestaurant.com/

Last night my friend TJ and I ate dinner at Harry & Son's. Harry & Son's is a restaurant that serves Thai food and sushi in the ever-popular Virginia-Highlands commercial area of Atlanta. My reason for choosing Harry & Son's was simple: I had a buy-1-entree-get-1-free coupon. I figured that if TJ and I hated the food, we could at least take comfort from the knowledge that we hadn't spent very much money on it, especially since many of the entrees are in the $11 range.

Fortunately we didn't hate the food. However, I can't say I loved it either.

TJ ordered the Pad See-U, which was flat noodles sauteed with egg, broccoli, garlic and Thai soy sauce with either beef, pork, chicken or tofu. TJ ordered the chicken version. I ordered the Pad Woon Sen, which includes sauteed mung beans, cabbage, carrot, tomato, baby corn, green onions and zucchini with your choice or chicken, beef or tofu. I selected the tofu, and wasn't disappointed. Within six minutes our friendly female server brought our entrees, which were steaming and wonderfully fragrant. I wasn't sure how I would feel about the dish's inclusion of cabbage and tomato, but these veggies turned out to be great complements to the other ingredients. TJ liked his Pad See-U

We also ordered sushi. Let me state for the record that I almost never order sushi from a restaurant that does not exclusively serve sushi. I did it in this case because I just finished reading a book about the history and art of sushi, and was determined to eat the next sushi that I encountered. First I ordered the 6 piece maki of yellowtail and scallions. I thought the yellowtail lacked flavor. Next I ordered the combination # 2, which consisted of a roll of spicy shrimp tempura, snow crab, avocado, masago, cucumber and sriracha sauce and a roll of fresh water eel and avocado ($12). I ate the shrimp and crab, and thought it was attractive but of average taste, and TJ ate the eel, which he enjoyed.

Again, I'm a sushi snob and am never particularly inclined towards rolls, so that is a factor in this review. Another factor in my dissatisfaction with the sushi is that I'm fresh off my recent trip to Taka, where the sushi was out of this world. After the fantastic (and pricier) sushi at Taka, I was bound to be disappointed with the next sushi I ate.

A note here about the location: its really cute and in a nice, pedestrian-friendly area, so the restaurant will likely be crowded. By 7:30pm both dining rooms were about 3/4 full, but the fortunately the service was smooth. Be prepared to either park and walk up to 1/4 of a mile or pay $5 in a nearby lot. This goes for any other restaurants at this part of busy N. Highland.

Verdict: Above average Thai, below average sushi at reasonable prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment