Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Waterhaven




75 Fifth St. NW, Atlanta, GA www.waterhavenatl.com

On Saturday night Kyle, Sabrina, my grandmother and I had dinner at Waterhaven.

I chose the daily special, a vegetable platter with an absolutely awesome succotash, some grilled squash and roasted red peppers, portobello mushroom ravioli, some sort of nearly tasteless fritter with red pepper sauce and an artichoke, red pepper and mushroom flan on a bed of arugula topped by shoestring fried onions that was surprisingly great. I say surprisingly because I usually dislike flan, but the texture was fairly firm and the flavors succulent. An interesting take on veggies. I would recommend this $17.00 dish to anyone.

My sister selected the Georgia Mountain Trout topped with bacon and a pecan and dried cranberry sauce. It was very good. The fish was tender and the bacon crisp. Sabrina especially liked the melt-in-your-mouth side of butternut squash ravioli. My grandmother also enjoyed her crab cakes ($11.00).

Overall, the menu is rather small at Waterhaven, but I like what's on it. For dessert, the only 3 options were the chocolate pie, the creme brulee' and lemon panacotta. I would liked to have seen at least one other choice, and maybe three or four more entrees.

Service: It was great. Our nice waiter Scotty advised us that Waterhaven employs a farm to table principle, another bonus for locavores.

Also, you can use the diningperks that I mentioned in last Friday's blog. Waterhaven also offers another deal where you can partake of a $25/person 3-course menu if you have a ticket to that night's performance at the nearby Georgia Tech Ferst Center for the Arts. Kyle selected this and got a house salad (the other choice was Ceasar), which he thought was lackluster, the flat-iron steak, which was a little tough but tasted good, and the chocolate pie, which was thick and rich. Too rich for his taste, just right for mine. It reminded me a little of the chocolate terrine from South City Kitchen, except the portion was about twice as large.

Despite this, I'm a little worried about the restaurant in terms of lack of business. Our dinner reservation was for 6:30, which is a little early for a Saturday, but by the time we left at 7:45 there were still only about 3 other tables of diners. I don't think Waterhaven is the best place I've ever eaten, but I think it deserves better than this.

A final note: Waterhaven will validate your parking at the Centergy parking deck just behind the restaurant.

Verdict: A good choice for a nice meal near Georgia Tech.

No comments:

Post a Comment