Thursday, April 8, 2010

Carpe Diem



105 Sycamore Place, Decatur, GA www.apresdiem.com

Easter Sunday is always a prime brunch opportunity. This Easter my mom, Kyle and I ate at Carpe Diem.

First I want to comment to on the decor - it's really cute. There are nice, round corner booths for groups, fabric draped from the ceiling and an exposed brick wall with colorful and original art that mainly portrays jazz musicians. There's also a large patio outside.

I ordered the lobster benedict ($14). This was very good, and the portion size was huge - two english muffins topped with beautiful eggs and lumps of lobster meat. It came with fresh, seasonal fruit, which in this case was not very ripe honeydew melon and red seedless grapes, and a side of potatoes.

Kyle ordered the Belgian waffle ($10), which also came with a side of fruit. He liked it. The brunch menu is actually pretty impressive period. There are lots of options, something to please everyone.

My mother took issue with the side order of potatoes, because she was under the impression it was just potatoes. Instead it was mixed with squash and cannelini beans (which I thought was great). Just FYI.

Another complaint was the Bellinis. Now, I will admit I'm picky about bellinis because I've had the pleasure of imbibing the original at Harry's Bar in Venice, Italy. I truly believe though that I would have disapproved of this bellini even had I not been able to make the former claim. The bellinis at Carpe Diem are made with peach schnapps, not peach or (preferably pear) puree. The consistency is off, as well as the flavor. Stick with the kir royales ($4). If you like mimosas, you'll have a choice of 3 different sizes; regular, super (about another 4 ounces) or bottomless for $15.

Unfortunately, the service was slow. I know you probably think I'm being obnoxious by saying this, because it WAS Easter Sunday. However, our party arrived before the big crowds, when only about 1/4 of the restaurant's tables were filled. There shouldn't have been a delay, but we waited a long time for our drinks and another twenty minutes for our entrees. Our waitress was nice, she just wasn't speedy.

Verdict: Better than average, but not the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment