Thursday, April 15, 2010

Himalayas



5520 Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Atlanta, GA www.himalayasindian.com

On Sunday night Kyle and I had dinner at Himalayas, located in a pitiful, nearly empty shopping center across the street from a Honda dealership on Peachtree Industrial. This was one of many, many meals we have enjoyed there.

Enjoyed is the correct word in the case of Himalayas. I've loved their food since I started eating there about 7 years ago. Here are a few highlights:

Beef curry: If you're at all familiar with India and the Hindu religion you know that it's very difficult to find an Indian restaurant that serves beef. Himalayas does, and it serves it well. The beef curry ($8.99) can be ordered mild, medium or hot. I prefer medium, which leaves a slight burning in my mouth but doesn't require me to gulp multiple glasses of water. The beef is served in thick, tender chunks in a flavorful, dark and delicious curry sauce.

Naan: We love the plain naan, which is the best I've had in Atlanta. It's soft and full of bulbous air pockets. You'll devour every buttery bite. For $1.99, it's a steal.

Chicken tikka: I know, I know. Tikka is the most common Indian dish to be found these days, and some of you will turn your noses up when I say this, but it is excellent at Himalayas ($8.99). It comes out steaming on a silver platter, with deep red pieces of juicy chicken, onions and green bell peppers. You can get the bone-in version (tandoori) for a couple bucks less.

Chicken biriani - Best biriani I've ever tasted ($8.99). It's light, not weighty, and contains large cardamom seeds and smells heavenly of saffron.

I could go on, but I'll wrap it up by stating that I've only ever had one dish at Himalayas that I disliked, the Dal Makhni ($7.99). This is a lentil dish with butter, tomatoes and herbs. I thought it was too bitter. I've had it twice since then - at another restaurant, and on a cruise ship - and each time it was much better.

The prices for the above dishes are for the a la carte versions. In most cases, you can opt for the "dinner" instead, which supplies you with a cup of incredible Mulligatawny soup (almost every cup contains a big wedge of lime), lovely pilaw rice, cucumber raita and your choice of coffee or chai. When Kyle and I eat dinner here, only one of us selects the "dinner" dish. We know we'll be served enough rice and raita to share, so it's a waste of money for us both to place dinner orders.

Verdict: It might look like a hole in the wall, but Himalayas will wow you with their great Indian food.

No comments:

Post a Comment