Monday, June 21, 2010

100th Post: Pub 71



4058 Peachtree Rd. - Atlanta, GA www.pub71.com

Yes, Southern Foodie family, it's true. I can hardly believe it myself. 100 posts on this blog. Cheers!

And in honor of the milestone, I'm reviewing a good choice for your own personal celebrations, Pub 71 on Peachtree Rd. The pub is located in a shopping center in Brookhaven alongside the Mellow Mushroom.

Last Monday night my friend Brad and I had dinner and a few pints at Pub 71. This was the second time I'd had dinner there. I wasn't super impressed the first time. However, I want to say that the place has risen in my opinion due to the new and improved menu. The chef has added at least two dozen new dishes, most of which are inspired by the countries participating in the current World Cup competition. They range from English breakfast (a whopping combo of two eggs, black pudding, baked beans, mushrooms and bacon) to grilled bratwurst with caramelized onions and spicy mustard to moules frites (steamed mussels in a light beer broth, with a side of French fries). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll receive a surge of compliments on the new offerings and decide to keep at least some of the items available permanently, but that's probably a longshot.

I really enjoyed both the items I ordered: the carne asada tacos and the pan de queso. The tacos ($10) were full of juicy beef and the pan de queso ($6) is little mini yucca cheese breads. The cheese is subtly baked into the bread, creating a surprisingly good appetizer.

Brad ordered the Bacalau fritters, which are made of salted cod with lemon aioli ($8). Ever the salt cod fan, he gives them his approval. I'm personally always excited to see salt cod on a restaurant menu in Atlanta.

In the past I've had the hummus trio, which was pretty disappointing. Actually, it made me more than a little sick, an incident I remember well but still can't understand as I've never had an adverse reaction to any of the obvious ingredients in the past. I've also had the burgers, which weren't anything to get excited about.

The beer menu is another thing I can't get too excited about. Much like the recently reviewed Dark Horse Tavern, Pub 71 doesn't serve anything especially interested, but you can always grab a Blue Moon, Woodchuck Cider or a Fullers (this is available only in bottles).

Pub 71 offers several fun options. There's team trivia at 8pm on Tuesdays, half-priced wine on Sundays and live music during the weekends. Diners can choose between a dark wood, traditional pub interior or an outdoor patio.

Verdict: It's not yet good enough to make my "Great Pubs in Georgia" list (see bottom of the blog), but it's improving. Take advantage of the World Cup menu while you've got the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment