Thursday, June 24, 2010

Fontaine's Oyster House



1026 1/2 N. Highland Ave., Atlanta, GA 30306 http://www.nnnwcorp.com/fontainesmainpage.html

My mom and I had lunch at Fontaine's on Saturday. First let me apologize for the poor quality of the pics. I forgot my camera that day and had to use my phone, which is barely adequate in these circumstances.

Since Fontaine's is "known" for their oysters, I decided to try some. I ordered the Oysters Rockefeller ($10.95 for 8). This marked a strange point in my life - a time when I had to give up on a particular food. I usually scoff at people who say they have "texture issues" with foods such as shrimp or mushrooms, but I think I have to admit to an issue of my own with oysters. Even baked into a lovely spinach and cheese sauce, I just couldn't get over the slimy little suckers. I'm making a point of this because I know many people are oyster fans and the oysters at Fontaine's may in fact be excellent. I just don't think I'm the best person to make that determination.

My mom ordered the seafood dinner. This comes in small, with one side ($11.95) and large, with two sides ($14.50). You get a choice of shrimp, scallops, catfish, oysters or crawfish, and can have the catfish and oysters fried, or the other items grilled, blackened or fried. Mom loves crawfish, so she ordered that along with red beans and rice with Andouille sausage. She liked it, but she didn't rave about it the way she usually does when presented with a steaming plate of Cajun or Creole food.

Most of Fontaine's menu is typical of seafood bars: peel and eat shrimp, crabcakes, oysters on the half shell, grilled/fried salmon or tuna. However, there are a few interesting items, such as oyster stew, Cajun rice balls, fried okra and Muffalettas.

This is the thing: nothing in particular stood out to me as exceptional at Fontaine's. The service was good, the food was fine, the decor was average, but there was nothing that would keep me coming back for more. I felt this way about Harry & Son's, also on N. Highland, and although Dark Horse Tavern rated higher it wasn't super either. Will this mediocre Virginia-Highlands trend continue? We'll find out this weekend, when I'll be back to try another option.

Verdict: OK, nothing special.

1 comment:

  1. Virginia Highlands has been blah for quite some time. Frankly, I think it's because all the cool trendy bobos that bought there in the 80s when real estate was still sort of cheap are now deep into middle age and have long since given up being any more adventuresome than the occasional affair when they're on business trips.

    You play for your clientele, and, for the most part, the restaurants have become increasingly white bread. "Craft made baguette," but still white bread.

    Let me know when you're up to trying the new Japanese place up in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete