Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Eats




600 Ponce de Leon Ave. NE, Atlanta, GA www.eatsonponce.net

Last Thursday I had dinner with my friends Megan and Brian at Eats. For those of you who have never heard of Eats (in this case, you better be new to Atlanta, because Eats has been around forever), it’s something of an experience.

If you’re in the mood for some Southern style vegetables, then you’ve come to the right place. There’s collards, corn on the cob, lima beans sweet potatoes among others. And you’ll get corn bread, which I don’t like because it’s not sweet. Sweet is the only way I take my cornbread. Vegetarians can get a 3 veggie plate for $4.50, or a 4 veggie plate for $5.50.

Eats claims to make the “best jerk chicken in town.” I don’t eat jerk chicken in enough places in Atlanta to either confirm or deny that statement, but I will say that I like it. My friend Brian thought it was overly covered with spices. I’ve always enjoyed it, but I am a person who loves highly spiced, flavorable food. I also like their lemon pepper chicken. Eats also offers meatloaf. I’ve never tasted it, but I’ve smelled it, and it smells delicious. You can choose a meat and 2 vegetables for $6,90 or a meat and 3 vegetables for $7.30. The chicken portions are huge, so this is a great deal.

Then there’s the pasta. You choose a pasta and pair it with a sauce. Prices vary depending on the sauce, and whether or not you add any “extras”, like mushrooms or Italian sausage or an extra piece of garlic bread (the first piece is included), but you can expect to pay around $5.75.

I tried a brownie for the first time ever last week. It was rich and yummy, like it was made with lots of Crisco.

There are two lines at Eats – one for the pasta, and one for the meat and veggies. If the lines are long, don’t fret; service is fast and efficient. You’ll have your meal in less than 10 minutes, most likely less than 5. I like the ziti with pesto best.

I like Eats, always have. Although the menu is very limited, the food quality is consistent and everything is very inexpensive. For the same price you would pay for a burger and fries at McDonald’s you can get good, home-cooked food. Lots of students at local universities know this, so you’re bound to see plenty of them when you dine here.

You’re also bound to see, well, plenty of everybody. Eats attracts a wide range of people, from businessmen in suits to women in running shorts to large families to people who look like they work in “adult” shops or play bongo drums for a living. It’s kind of like Little 5 Points, all in one room.

Verdict: It’s not the absolute best food in Atlanta, but it’s a heck of deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment