Thursday, July 1, 2010

Morelli's


749 Moreland Ave. SE, Atlanta, GA www.morellisicecream.com

My friend Kathy recommended that I try Morelli’s, an ice cream shop in east Atlanta. She’d recently tried the salted caramel flavor. I brought up the website and saw that Morelli’s offers lots of interesting and unusual flavors, such as coconut jalapeno, sweet corn, and red bean.

Then I saw the one that made me decide I had to give Morelli’s a try: maple bacon brittle. I’ll try anything with bacon. Ice cream is no exception.

Morelli’s is located a couple of miles east of Little 5 Points on Moreland Avenue. It’s set up like Bruster’s, where you order from a window and eat your ice cream outside at one of the umbrella-covered tables. It’s in a small brick shopping plaza with a lot that was completely full when I got there. I ended up parking across the street in a gravel lot, but I don’t know if this is a good idea during the adjoining business’ working hours.

Alas, after 40 minutes of driving from Buckhead after work I arrived at Morelli’s and was told that they didn’t have the maple bacon brittle that day. Apparently the website is only a general guide to the flavors – you can’t assume that just because it’s listed on the site that the shop will have it that day.

Not what I wanted to hear, I can assure you.

But you have to take a step back in these situations and remind yourself, “Well, it IS an ice cream shop.”

A line was forming, so I had to make a quick decision about what to order. The day's specials included ginger cinnamon spice gelato, green tea ice cream and grapefruit campari sorbet. I chose the chocolate orange and the maple walnut flavors.

They were both excellent, especially the chocolate orange. It’s like an ice cream version of those chocolate oranges you can buy around Christmas. You know, the round ones that fit in the palm of your hand and are wrapped in foil and sectioned out just like a real orange? Delicious. The maple walnut was smooth and super creamy with lots of nuts. Great stuff.

While I was there, I saw a sign posted on the window that Kevin Gillespie, of previously reviewed Woodfire Grill, is now working in conjunction with Morelli’s. He’s now a “guest ice cream maker”, and his first flavor was S’mores, with homemade graham crackers and marshmallows and local honey. I’m a big fan of Gillespie, and his endorsement is a big deal for this little ice cream shop.

Verdict: Quality, delicious ice cream.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mentioning us in your blog!
    we change our flavors weekly. With the exception of Salted Caramel (we were threaten with bodily harm by a group of pregnant women if we rotate this flavor. With over 200 hundred recipes on the books and at least 10 or 15 original flavor suggestion a week coming in its not always a guarantee for a specific exotic flavor

    however we were planning to make maple bacon brittle by thursday this week

    morelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. A comment from the eatery itself. That is awesome. See, spontaneity is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visited Morelli's over the weekend. Kyle got the Krispy Kreme ice cream (I think it was called Krispy Kremeria), and thought it tasted exactly like Atlanta's famous donut. I got the praline pecan. Yummy, and just the right amount of sweetness.

    ReplyDelete