Friday, July 9, 2010

Sublime Doughnuts


535 10th St. NW, Atlanta, GA www.sublimedoughnuts.com

Last weekend I made a stop at Sublime Doughnuts, located near the intersection of Northside and 10th St. Several people had recommended I try them, mentioning that the store bakes unique doughnuts such as orange dream star, caramel apple fritter and deluxe cinammon twist. I decided to pick up half a dozen and try them all with Kyle over the weekend.

A couple quick notes on the shop: the day I was there it was staffed entirely by young men, all of whom were helpful and happy to describe any/all of the available doughnuts. The shop itself has a nice interior. It's more like a clean, trendy coffee shop with couches and reading lights than the loud, sort of grubby interior I'm used to encountering at Dunkin' Donuts. The owners clearly wanted their customers to feel comfortable enjoying the doughnuts there. Another bonus is that the chef, Kamal Grant, is a Georgia native.

First I tried the chocolate banana fritter. Excellent. I was worried the banana would be overpowered by the chocolate. Not so. I was just right.

I was a little disappointed with the Smores doughnut, mainly because there was only about a tablespoon of melted marshallow on the outside center. The chocolate and grated graham crackers were spot on, but I think they need to at least double the amount of marshmallow for this one.

My favorite was the A Town mocha cream. This was covered with milk chocolate icing and the filling was in the top half of the A. It was incredible, just the right amount of coffee flavor with a sweet coating.

Kyle tried the fresh strawberry n cream and the Reese's peanut butter cup varities. He liked them both, commenting that the sliced strawberries were very fresh and that there were big chunks of Reese's peanut butter cups on the donoughts.

He also ate the red velvet cream, which he didn't like as much because of the walnuts on top. Walnuts can be tricky: I usually like them, but sometimes their flavor will throw off the other flavors in a dish. This was the case here.

These great flavors aren't cheap. Half a dozen doughnuts cost me over $11. You can get twice that many doughnuts at Dunkin' Donuts, perhaps in a much more convenient location.

As is the often the case, buying Sublime doughnuts is a question of quality versus quantity. If you need to treat your Sunday school class, it's probably best to stick with Krispy Kreme, an old Atlanta favorite (best enjoyed hot, of course). If you want something different, with superior ingredients, you're better served by Sublime.

You can access the website for a full list of doughnuts, but be aware that not all of these types are available every day. For example, the store was out of the Nutella when I was there last Saturday.

Guess that means I'm going to have to go back for another round!

Verdict: A great addition to the Atlanta sweets/breakfast scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment