Friday, January 14, 2011

Recipe: Egg Casserole


One of my followers recently suggested that I include an occasional recipe review on Southern Foodie. Good suggestion! When I post these, I'll be sure to make them at least twice beforehand, and they'll come from a variety of sources: cookbooks (old and new, some local), magazines, and shared favorites from friends. Here is the first. Happy cooking!

Egg Casserole - courtesy of Rebecca Abramovich
Ingredients:
12 eggs, 1/2 cup flour, 1 teasp. baking powder, 1 teasp. salt, 10 oz. cottage cheese, 1 stick melted butter, 1 lb. grated sharp cheddar, 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper, 1 grated onion, 1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms, 1 tomato - thinly sliced, parsley flakes.

Instructions: Mix dry ingredients. Add egg & other ingredients. Pour into 9 x 13 pan. Put sliced tomato on top & sprinkle with parsley. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

What's positive about this recipe:
# 1 - it's delicious! It's sort of like a giant frittata and smells great when it's baking. It's full of good veggies, protein (eggs), and lots of dairy.

# 2 - it's easy. Once you chop up your green pepper and mushrooms and slice the tomato, you simply mix everything together and throw it in the oven.

# 3 - some of the ingredients are flexible. Don't like mushrooms or green bell pepper? Use more onions, maybe some diced tomatoes instead of just one sliced on top, or other colored peppers.

# 4 - it feeds at least 5 people. When Kyle and I have made it, we've eaten it twice for dinner that week and I've taken the remaining portion to work for lunch. It keeps well in the fridge.

What I would change:

I've made this twice now, and I think you can simplify the recipe even more without sacrificing on taste. For example, I wouldn't grate the onion, I would simply chop it. Also, a jar of pre-sliced mushrooms works just as well as fresh. As a matter of fact, they hold up better in the casserole.

Also, I only use about half as much sharp cheddar as the recipe calls for. One 8 oz. bag of shredded cheddar seems like plenty to me. If you use a whole pound, you'll have more cheese than egg, and I like to taste the egg.

Finally, I think it cooks better if you beat the eggs before adding them. Oh, and spray your glass baking dish with cooking spray before you do anything else! Otherwise you'll be soaking that puppy for a week.

Verdict: Great main course breakfast or dinner recipe. Thank you, Rebecca!

No comments:

Post a Comment