Friday, March 25, 2011

The Pie Hole



1025 Canton St., Roswell, GA www.facebook.com/thepiehole

After hearing my friend Eric rave about this place months ago, I finally got to drop in and sample the goods last Saturday. It's housed a little off the road in barn-like structure in "Old Roswell". If you've never been to that area, it's a great place to walk around and browse eclectic clothing, art and antique shops. While you're at it, you'll want to treat yourself to at least one slice of pie from The Pie Hole. Hey, you can always walk it off afterwards.

Pie Hole sells pies, tea, pimento cheese, a few non-edible items like t-shirts, and more pies. You can purchase whole pies or any available pies by the slice. I picked up four different slices, and an hour later my Grandmother gave the apple with walnut crumb topping her seal of approval. If your Grandmother likes it (and my Grandmother is famous for both her chocolate and her pecan pies), then you know it must be good.

Of the remaining 3, I tried the pear cranberry first. This was pretty good, with thick slices of pear and lots of baked cranberries, but it contained a little too much nutmeg. My friend Brian commented that he thought it would be better off with no nutmeg at all, and I tend to agree. Still, a nice fruit pie.

Then I tried the buttermilk, a completely new flavor for me. I was initially a little hesitant about it, but it turned out to be incredibly good. Both sweet and slightly sour, with a thick custard texture, this pie was a real winner.

So I thought the buttermilk would be my favorite . . . and then I had a slice of the chocolate derby.

The chocolate derby is out of sight! It's a chocolate chip pecan pie, and is a gooey, wonderful treat. If you microwave a slice for about 45 seconds, it halfway melts into a thick, cookie-like piece which no chocolate chip cookie lover could refuse.

One great thing about The Pie Hole is that the pies actually look (as well as taste) home-made, from scratch. The crusts aren't the picture-perfect kind you might see on a French tart tatin - they are often crooked around the edges, unevenly browned, and sometimes the pie plate seems to be overflowing with the filling. I consider all of these things to be good traits.

Among other flavors, they also sometimes make an almond joy pie (coconut. almonds, chocolate chip,), a sweet potato with caramel nut topping pie, and an eggnog pie. Can't wait to try those!

Each day you can access The Hole's Facebook site and see which pies will be available. The Pie Hole is closed on Sunday and Monday. Whole pies are $12.50, and individual slices range from $2.50 to $3.50. The custard styles are cheaper than the fruits, which makes sense to you if you've ever bought enough fresh cherries, etc. to fill a deep dish pie - you know it's expensive.

The staff is also extremely nice. You can't go wrong with good Southern pie-bakers.

Verdict: Best pie I've had in a long, long time.

4 comments:

  1. LOL What a fantastic name for a place! And it sounds like it IS a fantastic place. I have a friend outside of Atlanta that I've been meaning to visit. A small detour and a stop at the Pie Hole is definitely on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The staff at The Pie Hole in Roswell, Ga. are the GREATEST! Their home-made Apple pie is the BEST! A terrific combination to be sure! Hoping to buy a Coconut Cream pie soon! Western NY Gal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is the cutest place with the greatest pies! on a recent trip to atlanta, my cousin took me in to the PIE HOLE and we ended up getting 1 piece of each pie they had to take home so everyone could try a little of each. the almond joy pie was my favorite....it is outstanding! i would recommend anyone to go in their and try the pies

    ReplyDelete
  4. the pies at the pie hole are fabulous. i grew up in the bakery business so i am pretty picky....but i will assure you, you will not be disappointed. the almond joy pie is by far the best pie i have ever eaten! and their prices are very reasonable, especially for the quality of the product!

    ReplyDelete