Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Grace 17:20




5155 Peachtree Pkwy, Ste 320, Norcross, GA www.grace1720.com

About a week and a half ago Kyle and I had dinner at Grace 17:20 in Norcross. While we live on the total opposite side of Atlanta from this restaurant, I remembered dining there about 6 years ago and enjoying it immensely, so we made the trek out to The Forum shopping center off of Peachtree Parkway in northeast Atlanta.

And it was so worth the drive!

I ordered the market fish, which is oven roasted and citrus encrusted ($26). This came with smoked salmon mashed potatoes, wilted spinach, and citrus vanilla buerre blanc. First, I have to say that I didn't taste any salmon in the potatoes, nor even a hint of vanilla in the buerre blanc. Despite these omissions, this fish still rocked. Perfectly cooked, falling apart before I could get it in my mouth, it was a mild white fish (so sorry, can't remember the exact type - it was something I don't have or see on Atlanta menus very often). The citrus bread crumbs were lively without being zingy, the potatoes creamy, the wilted spinach fantastic. I haven't gotten quite this excited about spinach in a while.

Kyle ordered the black Angus New York strip, which normally comes with horseradish mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus and red wine veal jus ($28). Kyle asked our waiter to substitute plain mashed potatoes instead, and he gladly complied. The potatoes were fine, and asparagus was cooked correctly, and the steak was a decent size. Not an enormous cut of beef, but enough. It would've been perfect if it had come out cooked as ordered: Kyle ordered it medium rare, and it was probably more along the lines of medium or medium well. Other than being overcooked, I think the price for this lux meat and 2 veggies was appropriate.

We opted to forgo an appetizer in favor of eating a dessert later, and that was the right move - we ordered the bananas foster turnover. This comes with drizzled white chocolate and a small scoop of chocolate ice cream, and it's a dream. The pastry comes out hot and slightly crisp, while the center is ooey gooey caramelized bananas and brown sugar. Rich without being overpowering. My only complaint about the dessert is that all selections are $9 each. $9?!? This is probably the most expensive dessert I've ordered in the Atlanta area within the past year. As much as I enjoyed it, I think the price should've been more around $7 or $7.50.

I was disappointed that this restaurant's menu no longer features what I previously would have proclaimed as the best appetizer in Atlanta restaurants - mussels grits. Maybe they'll bring that heavenly dish back.

Our service was above average, non-intrusive. I wish I could say I was impressed with the wine list, but I thought it was a little lacking. Not enough interesting reds or unique white blends. We ordered a cabernet for $36 (One Hope) that was only so-so. However, with food this good, I can overlook a sub-par wine list on occasion.

Verdict: The best food I've had yet in Norcross.

No comments:

Post a Comment